Engineer, Senior Mine Planning
Job No: 980931
Work type:Permanent Full-time
Location:Aus - All
Categories:Engineering - Mining, Thiess
Advertised:AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications Close:AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Thiess is the world's largest mining services provider. We offer the widest range of in-house surface and underground mining capabilities across Australia, Botswana, Canada, Chile, Indonesia and Mongolia. Our life-of-mine insight, tailored approach and commitment to excellence keep us at the leading edge…optimising the mining value chain for each client.
And we're not done. We continue to drive innovation, through long-term relationships, so our clients are best positioned in a competitive global market. Our people are central to our success and are empowered to contribute their skills, knowledge and experience to continually exceed industry benchmarks. Our culture is built on our Principles of Integrity, Accountability, Innovation and Delivery, underpinned by a commitment to safety in everything we do.
As our next Senior Mining Engineer reporting to the Technical Services Manager, you will work collaboratively towards delivering high-quality solutions and results.
Lake Vermont is situated outside of Dysart, in Northern Queensland.
Some of your duties are to:
- Use your skills to design and develop the rolling 16 week schedule for: Dig, Dump & Haul, Drilling, Explosive Loading & Firing plans for the mining operation.
- Use your scheduling experience and problem solving skills to keep the rolling mine schedule aligned to strict budget requirements.
- Measure volumetric and spatial compliance to your Weekly Plan and site Safety Health and Environmental standards.
- Lean on your cost focus attitude and utilise in house data capture software to show the cost impact your designs and schedule are having on the project.
- Draw on your CAD experience to build mine designs which align to operational requirements and changes in geology.
- Coordinate planning and scheduling activities in the weekly planning cycle.
- Assist in the development of the weekly dig/drill planning document, ensuring appropriate participation from the Mining Superintendents and Mining Supervisors.
- Use your experience to assist in upskilling junior team members, providing mentoring where appropriate.
- Learn and assist in the End of Month reporting process.
- Let your natural curiosity lead you to continually investigate & improve work methods in the technical team.
- Liaise with your offsite engineering support team.
What skills and experience do you need?
- Prior experience working as a mining engineer on an operational open-cut mine
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in engineering
- Proficient in MS Office and mine design, planning and scheduling packages:
- Vulcan or Deswik CAD;
- Blast Logic;
- Spry or XPAC
- Planning, design and scheduling skills
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills
- S123 and G2 qualification
8/6 Roster starting on a Wednesday with Full Camp Facilities Available.
Only a 15 minute commute from camp to site office.
When do you need to apply?
This role will provide you with the opportunity to make the next step in your career. With our culture of recognition, leadership development, and a stimulating and satisfying work environment there is no better time to join Thiess. To apply for this role please follow the below link.
Applications close Sunday 25th February 2018
We are committed to developing a diverse workforce that represents the communities in which we operate.