Senior Supervisor - Drill and Blast
Job No: 983367
Work type:Permanent Full-time
Location:Aus - QLD Bowen Basin
Categories:Supervisory/Management, Production/Operations, Thiess
Advertised:E. Australia Standard Time
Applications Close:E. Australia Standard Time
Thiess is the world's largest mining services provider. We offer the widest range of in-house surface and underground mining capabilities across Australia, Botswana, Canada, Chile, Indonesia and Mongolia. Our life-of-mine insight, tailored approach and commitment to excellence keep us at the leading edge…optimising the mining value chain for each client.
And we're not done. We continue to drive innovation, through long-term relationships, so our clients are best positioned in a competitive global market. Our people are central to our success and are empowered to contribute their skills, knowledge and experience to continually exceed industry benchmarks. Our culture is built on our Principles of Integrity, Accountability, Innovation and Delivery, underpinned by a commitment to safety in everything we do.
About the Role
As our next Senior Supervisor - Drill and Blast reporting to the Mining Manager, you will work collaboratively towards delivering high-quality solutions and results.
You will be responsible for coordinating all drill and blast activities in accordance with plans and schedules produced by the Tech Services Team. You will proactively and efficiently coordinate resources and lead your team to achieve optimum results.
Your duties will include but are not limited to:
- Provide strong leadership to the site drillers, including communicating drill patterns and ensuring clear understanding of work requirements
- Ensure effective liaison and cooperation between drilling, site blasting contractors, production and tech services teams
- Actively communicate with the workforce directly and conduct shift prestart meetings, always covering safety
- Participate in short term mining and drill and blast planning
- Identify areas for improvement and act on them
- Complete incident investigations as required.
- Comply with all procedures and communicate effectiveness back to the Mining Manager.
- Assist the Mining Manager with additional production-related duties, including preparation and delivery of weekly plans, crew briefings, attending meetings.
- Step up to the Mining Manager role as required. Provide effective operational leadership to the production department. Assist and advise the Site and Project Managers with the running of operations.
What skills and experience do you need?
People management will be a key driver for you. As the successful applicant, you will be a high-achieving & team-focused individual with a focus on building a collaborative & high-performance culture within your work team. You have extensive experience in open cut coal mining & a drive to deliver.
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Experience in leading a high-performing team
- Commitment to workplace health and safety
- Strong communication skills
- Drilling experience (not essential but highly regarded)
- Ability to work in a fluid/dynamic environment
- Ability to work in and lead an adaptive team
- Experience with computer-based data and management tools (e.g. Infomine)
- Open Cut Examiners ticket (not essential but highly regarded)
Roster and Location
5/2 roster with private accommodation or full camp facilities provided. QCoal Northern Hub is situated one hour south of Bowen in the lifestyle location of the beautiful Whitsunday Coast, and only a few minutes from the township of Collinsville.
How to apply
This role will provide you with the chance to define the next step in your career. To apply for this role please follow the below link.
Our employee benefits program offers choice and flexibility to enhance the lifestyle and wellbeing of our team. With benefits including discounted health insurance, salary packaging, salary continuance insurance we place the health, safety and well-being of our people as our absolute priority. We are focused on ensuring everyone if fit for work and fit for life.
We are committed to developing a diverse workforce that represents the communities in which we operate.